Please note that the link from the Grid Reference of each point will not work on devices unless they have graphics that are compatible with Windows 7 or later.
Name Location Grid Ref (approx) Photo Rhandirmyn Camping†and Caravan Club Park Directly on route - Guidebook Map 21. SN779436 The main entrance is by the bridge at Rhandirmwyn. When crossing into the park there is a very inviting bench overlooking the river which makes a great lunch break.†The managers of the Park†are very backpacker friendly and will never turn a backpacker away. Charges (2015) £5.60 to £9.50 per person for camping per night, but give discounts to backpackers.†There is a small shop for supplies and icecreams. Camping Park website Towy Bridge Inn Directly on route - Guidebook Map 22. SN767447 The Towy Bridge Inn at Towy Bridge opens at 6 pm and is open lunch time during the holiday season. (The campsite over Towy Bridge from the Inn does not now welcome campers.) Inn website Ty'n-y-cornel Hostel Directly on route - Guidebook Maps 22 & 23. SN751534 Ty'n-y-cornel is a superb Youth Hostel, now owned by the Elenydd Wilderness Hostels but bookable though the YHA, where it is classified as a Bunkhouse. It was much loved by Tony Drake and he spent a lot of time working there. There is a bench erected in his honour.†If the Hostel is closed there is a large shed opposite which is left open for shelter and, if necessary, somewhere to stay overnight. This is a Dark Sky Site. Hostel website Nant y Maen Phone Box Directly on route - Guidebook Maps 23 & 24. SN762576 This iconic public telephone box in an extremely remote moorland location is one of many that have been threatened over the years. It has been completely vandalised with no attempt made to repair it due to 'low usage', though it could be a life saver in bad weather in a place where mobile phone reception is unlikely. Whether the box will be kept as a landmark remains to be seen. Wikipedia Entry Garn Gron Summit Directly on route - Guidebook Maps 24 & 25. SN740611 The summit of Garn Gron provides a marvellous viewpoint and is a good place for a lunch stop, weather permitting. It has a trig point and two cairns and is the highest point on this moorland plateau at 451 metres (1776 ft). Tony Drake's Waymark 1.1 miles N of Garn Gron - Directly on route - Guidebook Map 25A. SN741628 Tony Drake placed his own Cambrian Way waymarks in a very limited number of places. These have the distinctive Welsh Black Hat logo and one of these can be seen on the entry to the forest on Map 25A marked with Wm and the grid reference of SN741628. The photo shows a similar post near Commins Coch. The ruin nearby at SN739629, (Ru on map) is very impressive. The tall chimney has been remodelled to take what appears to be a barn owl nesting site. Strata Florida Abbey 1.1 miles ESE of Pontrhydfendigaid - Directly on route - Guidebook Maps 25 & 26. SN746657 Strata Florida Abbey is a former Cistercian abbey founded in 1164 and dissolved in 1539 in the reign of Henry VIII. Now in ruins, the archway to the main nave remains intact. The site has a reception area with a gift shop and serves tea, coffee and icecreams. Admission (Summer 2015) £3.50 Adults, £2.65 Concessions, Free Admission November to March. Wikipedia Entry Cadw Entry Claerddu Bothy 0.6 miles NNE of Llyn Teifi - Directly on route - Guidebook Map 27. SN793687 Clearddu Bothy is in a wild location north of Teifi Pools. It is owned and well maintained by the Elen Valley Trust. Facilities include sleeping platforms, bottled gas cooking facilities, running water and a flush toilet. It does not need to be booked but dry matches are advisable and there is no guarantee of firewood. Photo 1 Photo 2 Photo 3 Gelmast Farm 1.3 miles NNW of Cymystwyth - Directly on route - Guidebook Map 28. SN776756 This remote farm is surrounded by forest in the hills 2.5 miles east of Devil's Bridge. This is the farm where Thomas Johnes (1748 - 1816), an MP, architect, farmer, printer and writer experimented with the breeding of livestock and developed new farming methods for crops. This greatly improved efficiency and lead to present-day farming practices. He also grew trees on land that was unsuitable for crops. There is a notice board explaining this by the farm. The Arch near Devil's Bridge On B4574 2 miles ESE of Devil's Bridge - Directly on route - Guidebook Map 28. SN765756 The Arch was built to commemorate King George III's Jubilee in 1810 by Thomas Johnes owner of the Hafod Estate. The road used to run beneath the arch but now bypasses it. It has a picnic site with parking and toilets. Stay in Wales Entry Vale of Reheidol Railway Devil's Bridge - Directly on route - Guidebook Maps 28 29. SN739769 This narrow gauge railway was built in 1902 to carry lead ore, timber and passengers. It runs from Aberytwyth to Devil's Bridge through stunning scenery. The station at Devil's Bridge makes a good lunch stop and there is a tap with drinkable water on a nearby building. Railway website Disused Mines near Pontbren Pwlca Vale of Rheidol, Devil's Bridge - Directly on route - Guidebook Map 29A. SN729781
photo © John S Mason
The disused mine on the north side of the River Rheidol near the Pontbren Pwlca Bridge on map 29A is a former lode mine, a lead-zinc bearing mineral, but there was a lot of iron sulphide marcasite present which decayed into sulphuric acid. There are some interesting panels about the mining and the disaster caused in the late 1960s when one of the tunnels burst sending a cascade of acid down the side of the mountain, poisoning the fish in the Rheidol. Geology Wales Report Dyffryn Castell Hotel A44 1.6 miles ENE of Ponterwyd - Directly on route - Guidebook Map 29. SN774817 The Dyffryn Castell Hotel closed around 2008. Renovation work has was underway in 2010, but has been intermittent, and the hotel was was still closed in 2015. Please let us know if there is any update. E-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org Marker Stones on Plynlimon Plynlimon and Pum Pumlumon Arwystli - Directly on route - Guidebook Map 31. SN800868 There are seven slate marker stones on the higher ground over Plynlimon and Pum Pumlumon Arwystli. Most have the letters WWW 1865 and an upward pointing arrow, but inscriptions vary a liitle. The initials refer to William Watkins Wynn, who was a very rich landowner, owning vast areas of land in Wales, even extending across the border into Shropshire. It is, therefore, likely that they marked a boundary to some of his land. The Star, Dylife Dylife Village - Directly on route - Guidebook Maps 31 & 32. SN863941 The Star, formerly The Star Inn, dates back to 1640, and is located in the remote village of Dylife, in an area of old lead mines. It changed ownership and underwent extensive renovation before reopening in 2015. It is now receiving good reviews for both its food and accommodation. They proudly advertise no mobile reception or television and give 5% discount for those who are walking. The Star website Another Tony Drake Waymark Post Coed Bryneinion 0.5 miles SE of Commins Coch - Directly on route - Guidebook Maps 32B. SH849025 One of the few Cambrian Way waymark posts erected by Tony Drake was at this point in the forest where the route turns off to go down the hillside. In recent years felling operations have made the route easier to see. Its base is now rotted but it has been temporarily held upright with some stones. Cemmaes Wind Farm 2.5 miles NNE of Commins Coch - Directly on route - Guidebook Maps 33. SH867064 The Cambrian Way runs through the Wind Farm for about 1.5 miles and gives the opportunity to see, hear and feel the turbines at close quarters. It is an eerie sensation in mist when the whooshing of the blades is sensed before they loom into sight. Though they are fascinating in a way, the scenery of Mid Wales, in particular, is blighted by too many of them. Turbine Details Buckley Arms Hotel Minllyn, near Dinas Mawddwy - by A470 Directly on route - Guidebook Maps 34A. SH867064 The Buckley Arms Hotel was built in 1873 and is reptedly the oldest reinforced concrete building in Europe and the second oldest concrete building in the World. Sir Edmund Buckley was quite a character and went bankrupt shortly after building the hotel. He was involved in selling shares in a gold mine (possibly this one) which did not have any gold. Hotel website Pont Minllyn over River Dovey Close to route 0.6 miles S of Dinas Mawddwy - Guidebook Map 34A. SH860139 The bridge was buit in the early 17th Century at the expense of Dr John Davies, Rector of Mallwyd from 1604 to 1634. It is very close to the modern road bridge taking the A40 across the River Dovey. It is a Grade II Listed Building, being a good example of early bridge building. British Listed Buildings Entry
[Home] [Website Map] [CW News] [Map] [Route] [Origin] [Planning] [Guidebook] [O.S. Maps] [They Made It !] [Links] [Accommodation] [Photo Gallery]